Tuesday, July 13, 2010

"Crazy cake," so she called it...


One day, I received an e-mail from my sister.  She sent me a recipe for a cake and titled it "crazy cake."  At that moment I didn't have time to check the detail of the cake recipe, so I left it sitting there for a couple weeks before I got back to it to check the detail of the recipe.

It was a recipe for a poppyseed cake.  She described it being moist and soft.  I was looking for an excuse to bake the cake and I found one:  making it look like an unshaved face!!!  I bought some colored marzipan and went to bake...  (you can find the colored marzipan in Kaufland)

I'm sure you all have friends who got a bit busy and aren't shaving for a couple of days.  This makes it the perfect opportunity for you to bake a nice cake (if you like poppyseed cake) to lighten their stress up!  (And tease them a bit on the side...  hehehehe...)

The unshaved faces scratching each other with their beards...

I baked the cake without knowing that actually I am not that found of poppyseeds in a cake.  I could eat them, but I don't particularly like the flavor.  But it was FUN!  I had fun just making it and let people smile.  If you like the flavor, I guess this might be the cake for you!

Poppyseed "Crazy" Cake
Preparation time:  10 - 15 minutes
Baking time:  30 minutes
Yield:  8 cupcakes or a medium loaf



Metrics Measurements U.S. Measurements Ingredients

1½ cup all-purpose flour (wheat, of course, Mehltyp 405 or 550)

¾ cup brown sugar

1½ teaspoon baking soda

¼ cup poppyseeds

1½ teaspoon almond extract

1 tablespoon finely chopped lemon zest (optional)


lemon juice from one lemon
(if you don't have it, replace it with 3 teaspoons apple cider vinegar)

¼ cup vegetable oil

1 cup boiling water

Direction:
1.  Preheat over to 175°F (350°C) and grease the baking tray/pan (or lay a piece of parchment paper, skip the grease if you are using non-stick baking tray).
2.  Mix flour, sugar, baking soda and poppyseeds in a bowl.
3.  Make 3 big holes in the flour mixture.
4.  Pour lemon juice into one hole in the flour mixture, almond extract into one hole and oil in one hole.  (Sprinkle the finely chopped lemon zest on top.)
5.  Boil the water and pour the boiling water into the bowl and mix thoroughly.
6.  Pour the mixture into the baking tray/pan for 30 minutes.

Because it uses hot boiling water, the batter is very glutenous and harder to mix, unlike using liquids in room temperature.  If it happens to be harder to mix, don't panic, it's normal.

This is the picture my silly sister attached onto the e-mail with her "crazy cake" recipe

There are some pastries with similar ingredients that you might be interested in, such as golden cupcakesblueberry-banana muffins and baked doughnuts.

2 comments:

  1. Woww Nicole, sooooooo creative! I love it~

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad was reading LA Times and he found this same exact recipe, and since I am a vegan, he gave it to me! So I made it! (http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-crazy20-2010jan20,0,378250.story)

    But ever since then, he has been piling up the "Food" section on my workstation...

    Not this crazy... (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/dailydish/2010/03/check-out-scott-hoves-crazy-cakes.html)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails