Monday, April 12, 2010

Mission: Vegan in Berlin, an Intro...

After more than 15 years of being a vegetarian and coming from the US, especially from the produce state of California (yay, southern California, sunny SoCal!), where being vegan is a much easier choice, I found myself very lonely in Berlin.

I have to say that I'm, in fact, not vegan, although sometimes I think I might as well be.
Being of East-Asian ethnic and all, my diet consists almost all non-dairy, plus I am, proudly (?), lactose intolerant (like most of normal healthy adult mammals) to fresh milk and German's very fresh cream cheese ("Frischkäse"), as I realized later in an extremely painful experience. (Ah, thinking about it, I still almost have some tears in my eyes...)

Due to being a lacto-vegetarian (not ovo) who eats mostly just like a vegan, except occasionally eating diary products, I hardly eat out. After spending a year and a half in Berlin, I found that eating vegan in Berlin is actually very pricy in specialty restaurants. I like to make things from scratch, especially from raw ingredients that are as natural as possible. Sometimes there are pricy imitation fake-meaty-eggy products available, but most of the time we have to give way to chemically produced "natural" artificial flavoring and "natural" colors. And if proving that being a vegan or a vegetarian is a healthier choice, I do so prefer making stuff from raw produces.

My attempt of this blog is to perhaps give a new and tasty way of living vegan in a place where produce is abundant. (Although the organic produce here in Berlin proved to be a lot more expensive than that of SoCal, the fresh in-season produces are a lot cheaper than that of SoCal! Which I find utterly amazing about Berlin! I tried, but I just couldn't figure out how the in-season produce prices stay so low here.)

I will try to post up at least one recipe a week, ranging from vegan dishes to desserts, even nostalgic comfort food, along side with the possible vegan products and vegan options available. I hope I can be of help to anyone vegan out there and share the experience with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails