Monday, May 3, 2010

German Food Labeling

Coming from California, I was used to really carefully labeled food information and ingredient specifications.  I was utterly surprised that German food labeling don't seem to have a proper standard!

The very basic food labeling should include (for both allergies and nutrition reasons):
- Allergy information
- Countries of origin (planting/production, packaging and distribution)
- Correct ingredient labeling (actual comprehensible names for the ingredients AND label the ingredients!)
- Nutritional fact
- GMO or non-GMO crop (I deem it as a very important label!)
Sometimes most of these pieces of information were missing, some were labeled ambiguously.  Once I saw a honey (from black-yellow Netto) with a country-of-origin label, and what was stated was "outside of European countries".  What country is that exactly, then?  Oh, let's just guess from the about 170 countries that it has narrowed down for us!
I bought a bottle of carbonated mineral water from Netto (the red-yellow sign Netto, from Wikipedia Netto entry), everything seemed normal until I was curious enough to read what was written on the label:
It basically claimed, "this bottle of carbonated mineral water is vegan friendly," which isn't the wildest claim, but a redundant label.

Now to reinforcing the food labeling.  Being in California, food labeling from imported food products were also very strict.  Nutrition information must be clear and in the standard format required by FDA, Food and Drug Administration (FDA on food labeling and USDA site).

Once, I was shopping in an Asian market, I saw miso (a type of fermented soy bean paste), I didn't know which one to take, so after checking the ingredients in German, I chose a small packaged bag.  Then after I started to cook with it and tasted the food, something tasted wrong, since I haven't had fish for a long time, fishy taste tastes very strong to me.  I check the label in German again to see if I overlooked an item.  Nothing.  I started to force myself to utilize my rusty Japanese skill and checked the ingredients one by one, there were numerous items that were not labeled and "bonito powder" was among them.
Anyone who reads Japanese more fluently would say that "it's clearly labeled in the front in Japanese!!"  It says "Marukome - includes stock of katsuo and konbu"  But I'd argue that it is sold in Germany and at least the German label has to have what is written on the Japanese label as well!  The label in the front says "katsuo" (bonito) and "konbu" (kelp), yet the German label states NOTHING of the two.
There were merely 3 ingredients on the German label:
soy beans, rice and salt, also it warns that it may contain traces of barley
The Japanese label states:
non-GMO soy beans, rice, salt, bonito powder, seaweed extract, various flavorings (amino acids and others) and alcohol
TOO MUCH information was unforgivably missing.  This is the JFC international food exporting responsibilities, but without a stronger policy, it is not likely to change, meaning people in Germany would have to read multiple languages to make sure what they are eating is exactly what they think they are eating.

Food mislabeling is one of the most disturbing things to people with allergic reactions and food restrictions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails