Thursday, May 6, 2010

I'm all rhubarb-ed out today, how about you?


'Tis Spring time, time for rhubarb!  I saw a kilo of Rhabarber selling for €1.29, it was pretty cheap, so I bought a package of it.  It contained 5 ginormous stabs of rhubarb!

I have to say that I'm not all that advance in the taste of rhubarb just yet.  I can't control just how rhubarb has to be prepared to taste a certain way.  Rhubarb isn't so popular in So Cal, so for the last year, I experimented on rhubarb also...  But it didn't help.  So this time, I decided to make a spread with rhubarb, so I can fully experience the taste and let my rhubarb taste simmer into my taste buds.


It's very basic, the recipe is basically calling about 2:1 ratio of the weight of rhubarb and sugar.  Volume-wise...  about 3:1 ratio.


This time I added lemon, but if you have orange and wanted to add orange juice instead, you can also juice 1 orange and add it in.  OR you can add in strawberries instead, frozen or fresh!  About maybe 200g - 300g (1 cup) strawberries would be nice (make it more red).  Raspberries can also be added instead!  Depends how much (and how expensive) raspberries are, 100g would probably be enough.


Rhubarb Spread
Preparation time:  5 - 10 minutes
Cooking/simmering time:  20 minutes
Yield:  about 1 liter of spread

1kg rhubarb ("Rhabarber")
400g brown sugar (or sugar of your preference)
½ lemon

1.  Wash the rhubarb and chop them up in about 1.5 cm in length.
2.  Toss the rhubarb pieces into a large pan, add in the sugar and squeeze in the juice from the lemon.
3.  Turn on the heat to medium and close the lid for 10 minutes or until the pieces can easily form into sauce when stirred.
4.  Take off the lid and start stir the sauce constantly to prevent it sticking on the bottom of the pan and avoid bubbles to burst the sauce everywhere.
5.  Once the sauce becomes more gooey, it is done and can be put into jars.

This spread tastes quite tangy...  It doesn't need pectin or agar-agar to thicken it; it is naturally tart-like once it's finished.

This way rhubarb spread can't escape from my realm!!MUST EAT IT ALL!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails